Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

One of my poor girls has been sick for a while. She is old. 
When she was too weak to get up into the roost last night I thought that this morning I would be saying good bye to her. She is still struggling. 

Is there anyone who can help in this situation. I remember hearing once of a company who came to collect chooks from people who no longer wanted them. I think we unfortunately might need to euthanise her.   :(   :(

Views: 240

Replies to This Discussion

A fraught situation especially if she is a loved pet. Apart from paying a vet. for a lethal injection there's wringing her neck (strong hands and stomach needed for that one) or shooting. Neither are likely to be practical.

Or you could leave nature to do its work in its own way and allow her to pass over with her friends in familiar territory.

Thank you Elaine. You made it sound like trusting nature to work in her own magical way, the best way to go. 

I am so sorry for you both.

Recently my Mrs White couldn't get up to roost and had unpleasant droppings, I tried to nurse her for a few days but eventually realised that she was probably not going to make it. She was a sick old chook (4+ years)

For a couple of days I was moving her in and out of the pen and setting her near water and seed on a shady grassy spot when it reached crunch time (I noticed she couldn't keep the ants away from herself)

Even though I researched and found a way I was confident I could physically do the job and it would be humane, emotionally I didn't know if I could.

Luckily for me she died peacefully being stroked on my lap while I was building up my confidence to do the deed and mulling over the next step if I couldn't.

My next step probably would have been to ring my suppliers ... the produce store and/or chicken breeders to see what they could offer then finally the vet to see how much they would charge.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, I feel for you.

Thanks for your reply Susanne.
I have been doing the same. It is comforting to see her gently close her eyes when I stroke her. She finds her own comfort in that. 
I'm glad I posted. Some helpful comments here. 

We've had our chooks for about 7 years now.  One died naturally... just dropped dead over night without warning, another one was suffering from bad legs for a long time.  We took her to the vet, and he decided to put her down, cost around $50 to see the vet, no cost for putting her down about 5 years ago.. thinking back, we should have taken her to the vet earlier to reduce suffering, but it was really hard to do at the time... she was our favorite too...

There's four chooks left, and we see one of them seem to fall asleep all the time, and we can see a tumor on one of her wings, but we couldn't decide whether to take her to the vet for fear of bad news since she doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain, and active when she's not sleeping..

That's good to know Florence. Thank you. 

After seeing your great comments and writing my reply to Susanne, I went out to check on Little Henny Penny. 
She has passed. 
:(
You know, I really think that the way she closed her eyes when I gave her a little pat this morning, before taking the kids to school, may have been the last time she closed them. Bless. 
Her body was still warm but life force had left. 
I have returned inside after having a ritual burial in the yard and saying some prayers together with my two remaining girls. 
A sad day, but I am glad if this has ended any pain that she may have been in. 
Thanks so much for the comments here. 
With love
Jo

I cry in sympathy.

It is reassuring to feel you've been able to give her the comfort that she needed and responded to.

You'll have to have a 'wake' when the others arrive home from school.

My thoughts are with you,
Susanne

I am pleased that this situation worked itself out as the Universe usually does if left to its own devices. We do feel we need to help nature along at times - I have had some dogs put down and although I held their 'hands' during the injection, taking them to the vet and away from home is not the best for them.

The down side of sharing your life with non-verbal animals. The upside though, is the hours of pleasure they give to us and the knowledge that somehow we have enriched their lives too.

Elaine, yet again more wise words some younger folk may never had such advise,bloody good job.

What a sad little story :( Sitting here crying.

When a beloved pet gets sick the vet is the best place to take it in my experience. If it's suffering it's best to put it down humanely asap. A gift we don't yet offer our own sadly. I work with dementia folk and the end can sometimes be beyond comprehension. 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service