Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Onions bulb when the day length is long enough for that variety even if they have not been planted long enough to developed use able onions and if you plant a long day length onion in Brisbane it may not produce a bulb planted some sweet Spanish seed that i was given  and going by previous posts  some onions do not get very big in Brisbane  the sweet Spanish may be a problem. Have grown other varieties  of onions  and did not get big onions but did get usable onions.Brisbane gets 13hours 50 min in December.It seems that time of planting and variety  is important for onions .

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hunter River Brown  onions where the ones i grew last time it seems that buying seed by the gram is lot cheaper then purchasing packets but onion seed does not keep very well  one company is selling 1 kilo for close to $300 if you purchased by packets would be close to $3000 .

What quantity of seed is produced by each onion plant.

If indeed Onions produce viable seed here in Briz anyway. Some colder-weather plants eg Carrots may not seed at all so it's potluck seeds :-( Each plant only has one compound flower head and without counting the flowers, I reckon it'd be about 20 seeds max from each plant. If you are planning to grow kilos and kilos of Onions, buying a bulk lot of seed could be the way to go. Keep some of your own seeds to grow and trial them along side the bought ones. What you don't use to grow full-sized Onions you could use for sprouts/micro-greens. Or re-sell the excess here on BLF.

Green harvest have onion seed seed for sprouting wonder what you end up with if grow out could be good for spring onions    they recommend "Onion seed is short-lived so store it in the freezer"

South of Canberra Sydney  seems to be where long day onions can start to be planted.

As with Peas, even for sprouting or micro-greens, Onions prefer the cool weather. If the seeds are cheap enough to experiment with, I'd love to know how they turn out. I've eaten onion sprouts in mixes and you don't need many onion sprouts to make a big difference.

never had much success with onion seed ( or carrots either ) even in Melbourne ! often grow onions from the bottoms - if they have enough roots left on http://www.instructables.com/id/Grow-Onions-from-Discarded-Onion-Bo...

and carrots from the tops ! 

The little onion that I was calling a Japanese onion (Rakkyo onion) is a CHINESE perennial onion.  Sorry if I have misled anyone.  It can be left in the ground to multiply or lifted to consume.  Often used as a pickling onion. 

I always trip up on the options but here's a list:

• A. cepa
  • A. cepa var. cepa – Most of the cultivars grown in the West primarily as scallions belong to this variety.[6] However, the "scallions" from A. cepa var. cepa (common onion) are from a young plant, harvested before a bulb forms or sometimes after slight bulbing has occurred.
  • A. cepa var. aggregatum (formerly A. ascalonicum) – commonly called shallots or sometimes eschalot.
  • A. chinense (also known as Chinese onion,[2][3] Chinese scallion,[2] glittering chive,[4] Japanese scallion,[2] Kiangsi scallion,[3] and Oriental onion[2]) is an edible species of Allium, native to China and Korea, and cultivated in many other countries.
  • A. fistulosum, the Welsh onion – does not form bulbs even when mature, and is grown in the West almost exclusively as a scallion or salad onion, although in Asia this species is of primary importance and used both fresh and cooked. .The common name "Welsh onion" does not refer to Wales but derives from a near obsolete use of "Welsh" in the sense "foreign, non-native", as the species is native to China, though cultivated in many places and naturalized in scattered locations in Eurasia and North America The species is very similar in taste and odor to the related common onion, Allium cepa, and hybrids between the two (tree onions) exist. The Welsh onion, however, does not develop bulbs, and possesses hollow leaves (fistulosum means "hollow") and scapes. Large varieties of the Welsh onion resemble the leek, such as the Japanese negi, whilst smaller varieties resemble chives. Many Welsh onions can multiply by forming perennial evergreen clumps.[2][3] Next to culinary use, it is also grown in a bunch as an ornamental plant.
  • A. × proliferum – sometimes used as scallion.Tree onion, topsetting onions, walking onions, or Egyptian onions, Allium × proliferum, are similar to common onions (A. cepa), but with a cluster of bulblets where a normal onion would have flowers. Genomic evidence has conclusively shown that they are a hybrid of the common onion and the Welsh onion (A. fistulosum).[2] However, some sources may still treat the tree onion as A. cepa var. proliferum or A. cepa Proliferum Group. Tree onion bulblets will sprout and grow while still on the original stalk. They may bend down under the weight of the new growth and take root some distance from the parent plant, giving rise to the name "walking onion." It has been postulated that the name "Egyptian onion" derived from Romani people[3] bringing tree onions to Europe from the Indian subcontinent.

Also: :LIST OF ONION CULTIVARS : LINK

I also have middling success -- sometimes -- with Leeks.

Dave  and Jeff, I have found that the leaf type and taste often help indicate what type you have growing.  They can be so confusing.  Different countries call them different names.

Tip  Rakkyo onions aka chinese onions

• Chinese onions are easier to propagate by division than by seed. They may be divided anytime during the growing season and moved immediately to provide appropriate space for them to flourish.
  • Chinese onions grow poorly if crowded by other plants. According to Plants for a Future, Chinese onions inhibit the growth of legumes and can damage or be damaged by nearby alfalfa plants. Provide a windbreak in exposed areas, because Chinese onion stalks may fall over in the wind.
  • This allium crop is grown mainly in Japan and China, where it produces small bulbs that are mostly consumed pickled. The plants resemble chives but develop elongated bulbs in the summer.

Bunching onions ( aka Welsh Onion) appears similar to bulb onions during early growth stages, but bunching onions do not form bulbs and instead are harvested for their green hollow foliage.

Chives (aka Allium schoenoprasum) form a cluster of low-growing, narrow, hollow leaves. After every two or three leaves have formed, axillary buds form side shoots that then allow for the development of a cluster of shoots (Brewster, 1994). The shoots are attached to each other on a rhizome.

Chinese chives. Allium tuberosum syn A. odoratumi  grows wild in East Asia and is cultivated for its garlic-flavored leaves and immature flowers. It forms rhizomes similar to those of chives, and the leaves arise as dense clumps from these rhizomes (Brewster, 1994). Unlike true chives, which has a hollow stem, the leaves of Chinese chives are flat.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

VETIVER COMMUNITY PROJECT

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

The Vetiver Community Project is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service