Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I made a green pawpaw salad for tea tonight and it was OK.

You know how it is with pawpaws: Ripe or are there? Harvest early to avoid black spot. Fall from tree and still green. Too many?

Anyway Wendi Phan got me thinking: Using Papaya in Salad..

So I started reviewing the recipe options.

But first what's in a name:

Two kinds of papayas are commonly grown. One has sweet, red or orange flesh, and the other has yellow flesh; in Australia, these are called "red papaya" and "yellow papaw", respectively.[13] Either kind, picked green, is called a "green papaya". --LINK

So that's what I'm talking about. In the past I've cut up the green pawpaws (as in 'chop')and was never that impressed with the salad offering.

It was during my Thai period...

But here is a generic recipe:

Ingredients

• garlic
    chili
    sugar to taste
    roasted peanuts
    green papaya/papaw strands
    cherry tomatoes
    fresh lime juice to taste
    fish sauce to taste
  • To this you can add chopped fresh herbs like basil, mint &/or coriander.
  • I also added juliened carrots in deference to Do Chua.  Makes the salad  'pop'.
  • Other sources add prawns, beef jerky, green beans, bean sprouts,cucumber,lettuce, spring onions... But what makes it papapa is the amount of the pawpaw you grate up and use as that's the primary ingredient.

The trick is to grate the pawpaw -- like in a Mandolin.But a box grater will do -- with long strands. That way the flesh real takes up the dressing.

One site says: "This recipe will be good to eat for up to two weeks, if you freeze it in the refrigerator. Feel free to stock up on green papaya and eat this delicious and healthy recipe!" (LINK)

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another thing that I just haven't got around to doing yet.  It's on my list. 

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service