Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Just for a bit of fun, let's share a few key moment in 2018

Copy and finish each of the sentences below (about gardening only): (or maybe we should save this for the Christmas party?)

This year I learned...

My biggest challenge was... 

My biggest success was...

Next year I will probably not bother with...

Next year I would like to try...

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that 

The most unexpected thing was 

My favourite plants/tree is… because...

The plant I used the most in my cooking was...

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was...

The favourite thing about my garden is...

My favourite gardening tool is...

My favourite plant food is... 

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This year I learned that MORE water makes a huge difference to the quantity and variety of what you can grow.

My biggest challenge was growing new varieties from seed.

My biggest success was root vegetables. A breakthrough.That and varieties of cabbages.

Next year I will probably not bother with any tubers other than potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Next year I would like to try another fruit tree.

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that pole  bean, squash and tomato ladders rule.

The most unexpected thing was the delights of various Japanese pumpkins.

My favourite plants/tree  is the radish because I can finally grow it easily ...and its carrot mate.

The plant I used the most in my cooking was spring onions.

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was thyme.

The favourite thing about my garden is its ever changing ways.I love annuals.

My favourite gardening tool is my seeding pots...and  my dial seed sower ..and my medical forceps.

My favourite plant food is anything that makes kimchi.

This year I learned that I really can garden!

My biggest challenge was learning about annuals and that many of the plants we grow die so fast

My biggest success was my Malabar Spinach. Still going strong and producing seeds, and now has offspring.

Next year I will probably not bother with Oregano. It just went nowhere. 

Next year I would like to try Daikon

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that worm farms are great and wicking bathtubs are also a lot of fun.

The most unexpected thing was how friendly gardeners are!

My favourite plants/tree is my Thai Basil because it brings in all the bees to the yard

The plant I used the most in my cooking was Sweet Basil. Love it.

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was definitely the Linaris. I never would have believed I would love flowers before growing it.

The favourite thing about my garden is how low maintenance it is

My favourite gardening tool is my wheelbarrow

My favourite plant food is home made vermicompost! 

This year I learned how to make cheese thanks to Dianne.

My biggest challenge was to keep the wildlife out of the garden in drought times.

My biggest success was growing garlic of a decent size.

Next year I will probably not bother with growing as much over Summer, as pests, drought, and heat make it very difficult. (I say this every year).

Next year I would like to try to get rid of the bad nematodes from my garden as much as possible.

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that taking and striking cuttings must be done at the right time of the year for them to be successful. (figs)

The most unexpected thing was that the rhubarb I planted for my wife is growing really well. (red face here!)

My favourite plants/tree is Pumpkins, because they give a lot of useable harvest, while being versatile in food prep and great tasting, and being relatively easy to grow --- in Summer!!! Just add water.

The plant I used the most in my cooking was Pumpkins and Carrots.

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was eggplant. Got a lot of really good ways to use them now.

The favourite thing about my garden is the exercise, food and interest that it provides me with.

My favourite gardening tool is the wheel barrow, I couldn't garden without it.

My favourite plant food is tomatoes. Such a great tasting versatile food.

And my biggest failure was to get a harvest from my attempts to grow Avocados. (yet).

This year I learned - That without my BLF Friends my Illness would have been an even harder road to travel...

My biggest challenge was - When I ventured out into the garden after a long recuperation, finding I had lost plants and many, many weeds to deal with... 

My biggest success was - My Capulin Cherry flowered and formed cherries all over. My biggest distressing event came when the Noisy Minor Birds ate the lot. I will bag it this year...

Next year I will probably not bother with - Food plants we do not eat many of but concentrate on those we love... 

Next year I would like to try growing - A couple of different kinds of Passionfruit

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that - Don't sweat the Hard Stuff, it's not going anywhere

The most unexpected thing was - when a Cucumber I was given turned out to be a Zucchini which outgrew it's space.

My favourite plants/tree is - PapPaw  because it asks for nothing but space to grow, a bit of fertilizer and a drink or two

The plant I used the most in my cooking was - Lemons and Limes 

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was - Vietnamese Mint

The favourite thing about my garden is - The many, many birds that come to visit, be it for their fill of my Ripe Fruit or to simply suck on the honey inside the Salvia flowers

My favourite gardening tool is - A small Scandinavian Hand Tool that I use. It has a triangular  head and sharp point on a 14" handle, very handy

My favourite plant food is - funnily enough it is Lettuce and Tomatoes, I just can't be without them 

This year I learned - That I am not as able to do as much physical work as I once was.

My biggest challenge was - Reorganising my life around what I can do.

My biggest success was - Dragon Fruit! Plant them and start running ;-)

Next year I will probably not bother with - Asian-origin plants that I've not tried yet. Those I have tried have been disappointing flavour-wise so I figure my western palate doesn't take to radically different flavours.

Next year I would like to try growing - Radishes and Carrots.

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that - Don't buy seeds from oriental-based sellers on eBay. A 'Watermelon' morphed into an unappetising Cuke, seller returned the purchase price promptly suggesting I was far from the first sucker.

The most unexpected thing was - That Raspberries do very well here.

My favourite plants/tree is - Asparagus, though I would need dozens of plants to supply even part of our love of these spears.

The plant I used the most in my cooking was - Beans both broad and string.

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was - Red Shallots which grow and multiply and are seriously tasty. Thanks Cathy!

The favourite thing about my garden is - The local wildlife who use our bird bath and make their homes nearby.

My favourite gardening tool is - A weeder whose proper name escapes me and a three-tined claw-kinda thingy which is handy for stirring stuff into the soil.

My favourite plant food is - Tomatoes. Hands-down, there's nothing like home-grown tree-ripened Tomatoes.

Oh. Duh. Organic Xtra and home-made compost.

Hi Valerie, on reflection I find that one of your questions the last one - My favourite plant food is? - most of us took this to mean food we like to eat but I think in your question you meant fertilizer for your plant, am I right if so Sid you can go to top of the class as you are the only one who cottoned on.

My favourite plant foods are - Go Go Juice and my Scandinavian Kelp 

In that case: My favourite plant foods are - weed teas and urine.

But really my favourite plant foods are made by my army of  earth worms. What i do is keep them happy and fecund. 24/7 no wages.

This year I learned that rainwater is precious

My biggest challenge was knowing when to stop buying more plants

My biggest success was the lettuce, blueberries and tiny tomatoes

Next year I will probably not bother with pumpkin vines

Next year I would like to try Daikon radish

My greatest discovery I found this year was that the native bees are pollinating well

The most unexpected thing was to see early fruit on our Kwai Muk Richmond

My favorite plants are my salvia plants because they flower so nicely

The plant I used the most in my cooking was parsley and rocket

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was alpine strawberries

The favorite thing about my garden is seeing it change

My favorite gardening tool is my good secateurs

My favorite plant food is compost from our big bin.

This year I learned...to pace myself in the garden. A little bit every day or even week is less daunting and really pays off.

My biggest challenge was...to come full circle with each plant from seed to harvest.  I am getting better at raising seeds but many don't make it to the garden. 

My biggest success was... cherry tomatoes on trellises and carrots. Also beetroots at the school garden. They're huge! 

Next year I will probably not bother with...radishes. Nobody actually likes them in our family.

Next year I would like to try...to plant more fruit trees and tubers and plan the season/space better. 

My greatest discovery/tip I found this year was that trimming the fruit trees from the inside to allow air flow and access to pest. This seems to be working for my citrus, coffee and lychee trees. Fingers crossed. 

The most unexpected thing was Chinese brocoli (Thanks Cathie!) and the rhubarb coming back to life. 

My favourite plant/tree is…marigold  because... it puts a smile on my face every time I go in the garden, besides the many other benefits. 

The plant I used the most in my cooking was... herbs and cherry tomatoes. 

The plant I grew that turned out more useful than I originally thought was...nasturtium. So undemanding and the bees love it. I use the flowers and leaves and have yet to try the seeds.  

The favourite thing about my garden is...how it gets better every season. 

My favourite gardening tool is...the little fork thingie, aka the hand cultivator.  

My favourite plant food is... organic xtra, compost and worm juice.  

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2018   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service