Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

On the final Gardening Australia for this year, an item about Brush Turkeys. For gardeners beset by these creatures, apart from a 1-way trip to the oven (illegal :-( ) it seems making gardens and fences higher than the bird can see is as good a deterrent as any. Not having any first-hand knowledge (phew) I defer to the expert Professor. I'm interested to hear from BLFers who face the 'menace' on how the Prof's tips work for you.

If you missed the programme, go to ABCTV, either look for Gardening Australia or iView and see the programme on the computer.

Views: 727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Little baby chick is nice Andrew, but a big female, is a bit like me, and can do a lot of damage.  I think I have calmed down a bit now. 

LOL.

Christa -  calming down won't help.  I had all sorts of problems with bush turkeys until I got a cat and dog who hate them and keep them at bay.  No more mounds of mulch.

Andy - so the new recruit isn't doing its job either -  following in Bobby's footsteps - haha

They've been trained to be chicken and quail friendly. That tiny chick won't know what hit it. Mr Relocation, here we come!

We have an extra large python (named"the axe") which calls this place it's home, Cheryl, he has not bothered with the turkey, most probably too tough. Our plan was too replace our old fox terrier (R.I.P.)  with a similar breed, but not ready yet.  We have about 10 trees waiting to plant into these wicking beds.  Plus, we fell victim to a dwarf macadamia tree from Daleys, a couple of days ago.

Well, the thing is it's either a productive veg garden or a Turkey hang out -- there seems no middle ground.

It terms of 'happiness' a turkey can ruin your life and turn you into a paranoid.

Linda Woodrow (whose name for some reason always appears when I mouse over BLOGS here on BLF) seems to be at war with them.

Myself? I'm in a truce moment. I don't know how it happened but I am Turkey free for the time being. But I'm sure that any turkey who discovers your delights outback will thereafter come back over and over again -- wall or no wall...until driven away by means unknown.

So you gotta move away from the bushland where they hang out. Indeed the safety zone are the accoutrements of suburbia. My neighbour feeds them and other birds -- but for now, she's 400 metres away.

It's like the fools who feed white bread to crows who then come and fly here to soak pieces in my bird bath as in fondue. The more we go bush green with natives and stuff, the more we cater to nature, the more of the fauna folk will come visit...and, in a sense, this is a contradiction to growing food locally, especially if you are caught up in 'food forestry'. 

I think 'growing local food'  is all about selecting who or what comes into your patch. It's about control and 'manipulating' nature so you can grow specifics -- most of which are exotics, anyway. 

I suspect the more flora natives we grow in the burbs, the more will be the infestation of bush turkeys. But a standard veg garden -- planted with annuals -- isn't quite their thing. It is foreign after all.It may be 'grub' and worm rich but it is open space with irate locals being a possibility.If you have chickens, of course, you'll add to your dangers.But animals move to feed and in times of scarcity( as in drought times) your well tended plot is sure to be appealing.

At the a school garden  we back onto a pristine bushland wherein live my bush turkey nemesis. The bird parades around school grounds but has not, as yet, visited the school garden. As soon as we get chooks, I suspect that will all change.

So there's the next defence: don't get chooks.

..and, in the mix, hope that your neighbours build tastier turkey restaurants than yours.

On the funny side of things, we sometimes get a warning of the advance of the bird.  The neighbours down the hill are all yelling out Shoo! Shoo! or clapping their hands etc.   One person bangs their rubbish bin with a stick.

I do like your way with words, especially "control and manipulating nature".   We just have to figure put who is in control.

We just don't get them around where I live in Strathpine. I'm curious why not. Very grateful, but curious.

No possums either.

Despite adjoining bush, so far no bush turkeys. Renter neighbour has chooks, ducks, sheep and goats. One chook broke in and wreaked havoc. Just ONE domestic chook. I'm hoping the situation stays that way.

We do have Possums but so far, so good.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service