Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

On the final Gardening Australia for this year, an item about Brush Turkeys. For gardeners beset by these creatures, apart from a 1-way trip to the oven (illegal :-( ) it seems making gardens and fences higher than the bird can see is as good a deterrent as any. Not having any first-hand knowledge (phew) I defer to the expert Professor. I'm interested to hear from BLFers who face the 'menace' on how the Prof's tips work for you.

If you missed the programme, go to ABCTV, either look for Gardening Australia or iView and see the programme on the computer.

Views: 727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gotta be happy with that!

You bet! (Except for the 'must build the entire thing NOW!' sentiment, Andrew). ;)

Thanks Lainie for the Native Nursery lead, and so close to many north siders too! ... I'll add this to the Native Nurseries list. ... Are you working there?

For the first time this year, I have 2 bush turkeys hanging around ... I'm a little nervous due to hearing of the destructive nature of these guys, so far they've managed to level a smaller compost pile and smash a large bowl, not so bad, but lets see what's next. And above are one of the two BTs, 15 Metres up a stringy bark.

Hi Rob;

Yes, I 'work' at Kumbartcho (volunteer work!) on Tuesdays - not actually in the nursery, but in the attached Environmental Education Centre there (15 Bunya Pine Court, Eatons Hill).

I could send you the website link, but it will change in the next little while, I believe (we're working on a redeveloped website for Kumbartcho right now - so not far away!). There's a Facebook page too...

Cheers!

Lainie.

Thanks heaps Lainie, and well done on the gig at Kumbartcho! I've added the current webisite .. http://kumbartcho.org.au/Nursery.html to useful links in an Eating Australia discussion and I will update when

Only the males Rob. The females do about the same damage as a chicken (or two).

So far so good then, I only have double chicken damage, poor brown chook got blamed for the first few incidences!

What a pretty girl ;O)

Are we sure they don't have some vulture genetics from way back in their evolutionary past?

It sure looks like it!

Rob, Sorry to hear you have them - hopefully they haven't started a nest, once a nest built you will never get rid of them.   A house a few down from me had a nest in their back yard and now they just roam the neighbourhood destroying gardens as they wish - they make a huge thud when they land on the roof.

Just came home from morning out and found our 8 new wicking beds with foot deep holes and dirt everywhere with plants just pushed out of the way, mulch all over our barkchip and worst of all an angry husband !*@*)$

It moved a rock the size of a rockmelon.  The beds are now about 6 foot high with mesh, old hanging rack, tv aerials and heaps of boxes and a hose.

Short of sleeping out in the back yard, we don't know what else to do.  It is a female turkey doing the damage.  They have already cost us some good money, relocating them. 

We may have to call on the artillery unit.   

In the last few days I have been visited regularly by a baby chick.  It's very new born but will be headed off for relocation with Percy.  

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service