Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

On the final Gardening Australia for this year, an item about Brush Turkeys. For gardeners beset by these creatures, apart from a 1-way trip to the oven (illegal :-( ) it seems making gardens and fences higher than the bird can see is as good a deterrent as any. Not having any first-hand knowledge (phew) I defer to the expert Professor. I'm interested to hear from BLFers who face the 'menace' on how the Prof's tips work for you.

If you missed the programme, go to ABCTV, either look for Gardening Australia or iView and see the programme on the computer.

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get a dog to keep the Brush Turkeys out

Oh you evil woman!  LOL.  

My thoughts are:

Number 1 by a long shot.  If it doesn't have the yellow and red neck attire, it's a girl and won't make a mound.  In that case, it's probably only about as destructive as the average chicken.  You'll understand if you've ever had a chicken loose in your lettuce. 

2.  Percy used to fly over my six foot fences and the double garage.  His point about low fences will work is rubbish.

3. Yes, the mound is good compost.... so long as you can live with a huge mite infestation after.

4.  Co-exist with the turkey?  Bollox.  Just move the damn thing (more than 500 meters).  Yep, if you are in a turkey zone, you might be moving them regularly. 

Me? Evil? :-O What have I done?

Recalling what I've read on BLF, it seemed a mite complacent. Unless the BTs wherever the Prof is from are more stupid than the Brisbane-area ones.

I'm not sure whether his BTs are smoking something... or him... 

Prof IS from Bris., Elaine (and NO, those turkeys are not stupid at all!)

It was Northey Street, that he and Jerry were walking around...

Hi Andrew;

Yes, I thought the point about the fences was a bit 'off', too (despite Prof. Jones being one of my former lecturers/fave bird people!). I volunteer at Kumbartcho, and there are a few around there - one roosts regularly in a very high tree over the spillway (which made me think, 'hang on - he says they don't get up high?! That's not right!').

I liked his point on using the mound as a ready-made compost heap though, I'm glad he spelled out exactly WHEN they should be finished using them as nests/incubation mounds! (Bring on Feb/March! And look out Mr. Kumbartcho-Turkey, then!) ;)

Don't use it if you have chickens Lainie.  They are terrible lice. 

Nope, no chickens, Andrew (no garden to speak of, actually - not YET, anyway!) ;)

I wonder if there are any natural 'products' you could use to treat it for the lice before use, then, do you know?

Re-compost it would work.  Mix in new compost, keep it wet and turn regularly.  That way it will get to around 60 degrees which will kill the lice.... in theory.  LOL.  

Re. mites - it really would be good to know if there was anything you could do to 'treat' the compost afterwards (it seems that the mound-compost would be a total waste if it had been 'turkeyed'...and let's face it, there wouldn't be many places that HADN'T been!) Forgive my ignorance of previous discussions about this (I haven't seen them; but then, I probably just haven't looked in the right place on here!)

As to co-existing or moving 'em...well...again, forgive my ignorance, but HOW? How do you actually catch and move a BT? (I certainly wouldn't like to try to catch one!) And move to where? (Sorry, I don't think I'd inflict that on anybody...so wouldn't know where to take it!)

Laine, We had a male turkey last year and he did so much damage to our yard. The mulch was scratched up everywhere.  Our only option was to ring the turkey catcher, who has a permit to catch them and release in an appropriate area.  He no sooner set the trap and before the man could get home, we had to ring him to pick it up.  He said it was the biggest he had caught in a while.  That cost us a fair bit of money, but we had had enough.  I hope the turkey is out in the scrub having a good time.  I hope the scrub is far away.

Do the Chinese have bush turkeys

if it has got two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip during their 1986 Tour of China (Rex)

He told a World Wildlife Fund meeting that "if it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service