Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Thank you Andy for welcoming us in your garden. The day was glorious, sunny but not too hot. Perfect for a garden visit. Today we welcomed many new members to our community. First we were treated to an excellent morning tea including some delicious pumpkin pudding pies, cakes and biscuits as well of lovely cheese and crackers. Sorry I was too busy eating to take pictures.

Then Andy showed us his most challenging area at the front of the house due to irrigation issues. Currently planted with Vetiver, pigeon pea and banana trees. Andy uses pigeon peas in much of his cooking from leaves to beans.

Continuing along the wall, we could see several fruit trees.

This led us to the back garden where Andy grows most of his citrus trees in raised boxes along with passion fruit and things. The trees do not get much light and yet seem to produce abundantly.

Andy’s backyard is also home to a chicken coup, aquaponics system and quail coop. While the chicken has slowed down in their laying patterns, the quails are still producing eggs regularly.

Andy explained all about his potato bucket growing system. These are good for winter growing but get too hot in the summer.

Past the new water tanks, along the fence, Andy grows a large variety of edibles in various pots providing with a constant supply during winter.

After looking at the garden, and the demonstrated how he makes a delicious use of his green. First he treated us to a green leaf pesto. We sampled this with scrumptiously light and crispy lavosh crackers. The next sauce was Andy's excellent Thai peanut sauce, which can be used hot or cold. 

We concluded the visit with a raffle and Cheryl won the bug hotel prize. I hope you enjoy the diversity of tiny wild live in your garden.

Views: 106

Replies to This Discussion

Very inspiring and productive garden, Andy.

I said I would put up the recipe for the Lavosh crackers.
25 mL olive oil
45 mL water
135 plain flour
5 g baking powder
5g castor sugar
3g table salt
Method:
1.Mix all ingredients by hand into a dough and rest for an hour.
2.Divide dough into 2 portions and roll out into sheets using pasta roller, cut into smaller pieces as required.
3.Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with nigella or sesame seeds and salt flakes.
4.Preheat and bake at 185C for 11min.

(Eggwash - mix 1 egg and 50mL water with fork)

Thanks Valerie.  And thanks Janet for the recipe.  I'll have a crack at it for sure. 

Good to see a few new members at your garden visit, Andy.  I did not go around the back garden as I was sitting and having a chat with Paul and Becky and Michael under the loaded cumquat tree.  The pesto making lesson was interesting and the green one was very tasty, and the Thai peanut was good as well.  You always put on a good visit, Thanks Andy and Rozie. 

P.S. I think we left our chair behind.

Lol I just did a few edits. We had a raffle and the other sauce Andy made. 

Thank You Valerie for a lovely Report of Andy & Rozie's GV. I love the way you have done the photos, very clever of you.

It sounds like the GV was a real success. Thanks so Much Andy, you are a wonderful host.

The garden is looking good Andy, even though it is Winter.

Sorry we missed meeting all the newer faces, hope to see you all again soon.

We are so sorry we missed the GV but I had a very bad case of Flu and Graham was to come but he got ill too and has had a Bad case of Man Flu, we have still not really gotten over it, but we hope to be on the mend soon.

I'm always amazed at how much Andy fits into that space.

It was good to see so many new faces there - and some who haven't been for a while.

Sorry I missed the visit guys. 

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

VETIVER COMMUNITY PROJECT

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

The Vetiver Community Project is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service