We have had an abundance of different types of mushroom types coming up in our backyard amongst the mulch.
Does anyone know a good book on fungi - how to identify edible and toxic types.
One lot looks like oyster mushroom and we have had about 8 to 10 wide growths of oyster like mushrooms growing. Also we have had a little yellow domed mushroom nearby in pots - I don't think they are edible as they seem to give a bright yellow warning. The oyster types are sort of pink and grey.
We would appreciate any advice. We have not had any mushroom compost in our yard for about 10-12 years.
This is a good site Jeff, and good if you know what you are looking for. There is an identification site, so I will try taking a photo and get them identified first then find out if they are edible. Thanks for your help.
My experience is that nobody will take the risk to say they are fine to eat. I reckon you are better off to clear an area and then "seed it" with a pack of spores from the hardware that shall not be named.
I've had new fungi in my backyard too -- I mean ones I've not seen before.
The unique weather convergence is always full of surprises.
Imagine how many different spores are out there!
But I'd never eat the fruiting bodies.I was a keen mushroomer harvesting field mushrooms in rural Victoria (Agaricus campestris?) in my youth.In them days we'd spent all our school hols mushroom collecting on my uncles' farms and often selling bags of them on the roadside. To my knowledge we poisoned no one.
But then our knowledge was taught to us by my mother and aunts who knew the fungal edibles of that region as this was a family tradition.
I'd not eat anything north of the Tweed that grew at my feet. Even the locally called 'Horse Mushroom' looks different.
Stunning to look at so often, but therein you have to be a mycologist to know what is kosher. Fungi are like snakes -- it can easily take a very brave (or stupid) person to insist they know one species from the other.
The Qld Mycological Society has some pointers: What is that fungus in my garden?.
Here's a delightful fungal fam I came across along the Caboolture River last year:
There are, of course, the fungi you may see occasionally and the great bulk of the active spores you don't.
For instance: tinea.
So this recent article is worth a read:Fungus is the next 'superbug' to threaten human health
Christa - I have a good book for ID called Australian Subtropical Fungi (Sapphire McMullan-Fisher). Easy to use for ID but I notice it doesn't mention the word "edible" anywhere that I can see...risky no doubt. They do say every fugni is edible, but maybe only once (and you're dead).
They have a good list of Resources in the back of the book including Fungi Australia: anbg.gov.au/fungi/index.html.......Fungimap: fungimap.org.au......and more. Perhaps one of those will take you to something that will describe the edible ones.
The only wild fungi I have been game to eat on the whole (I did end up in hospital once) are the lovely Field Mushrooms that used to grow wild on Bribie when I was a kid.
If you can post some photos here before they all die off Christa, I might be able to help identify with my book :)
Thanks Lissa, if I remember right - that was one of the books that CSIRO had on sale a while back. Sorry I didn't buy it.
Can't seem to find the fungi I have growing here. They are dying off now but if I have a new lot, I will photograph it the best I can, and send off to get an ID.