Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I was contacted by a lovely lady today who is marketing manager for Humanitarian Coffee.  They run 5 shops in the Brisbane city centre.  The company would like to give us the coffee grounds from all five stores.  This is something I have been trying to achieve in my own area with no luck.  We are talking a couple of hundred kilos of grounds a week.  As you know, you can grow mushrooms in them, use them in compost, use them pretty much as mulch - it's a great resource and would save a lot of landfill.  

I intend to meet with them next week to talk about the logistics of pick-ups etc. They are in corporate buildings so really only want one person doing pick-ups.  

My main issue is to see who is interested in getting access to this free resource.  This would be one occasion where I would happily consider a north/south side thing.  We could identify a person in the middle of each side of town.  Arrange delivery/pick-up and that would decrease the need for us to travel to collect.  Two pick-up points, if you will.  

Who is interested?  For how much potentially (1 bag a week, a 50 litre bin a week etc)?  Potential depot sites?   Let me know what you think. 

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds good to me.  And yes charge a fee to, at the very least, cover your costs.

Sorry to necro the thread, but did this end up going ahead? I'm keen if so!

Alas not Sid.  It started to look like a lot of work on a daily basis.  

Hahaha, YES, I'd been thinking about this for a few years too (the same few years as you, apparently, Andrew! - I hadn't seen your posts about it come up on here, as I've been 'inactive' for a while). I also came to the same conclusion and result - couldn't get it up and running because of the amount of daily work it involved! What a shame; the interest is obviously there! (And we all know a coffee drinker or three...)

PS. I started thinking about it because of the availability of what I thought would be an ideal depot site for this (northside, though, not too far from Mark at Eatons Hill...)

I get mine from an organic coffee shop, I have 4 food grade buckets with lids.  I drop 2 off to them, they text me when they are full and then I pick up and give them the two clean empty buckets.  Works well

Yes, I can source smaller amounts this way too, Cheryl; but would love to see it happening on a larger scale, given the number of coffee drinkers around (myself included)! :D

I might try the coffee shop up the road again.  They can only say "no."

If anyone is looking to do this I can recommend buying two 60L round black plastic garbage bins from Bunnings ~$17ea.  (Alternatively choose a smaller sturdy bin that you can lift- fill it with water to test if it's manageable by you) - Assume the cafe will fill it to overflowing, because they absolutely will.

I am a single person household with very little waste so I asked the cafe down the road to provide me with their scraps. I put a little hole in the handle and attached a tag with "Call this number when full" and on the other side a note saying "Food waste only/no plastic etc."  I got mostly kitchen prep scraps, coffee grounds and some table scrapings. The occasional plastic straw and apple stickers that I pulled out by hand were the only contaminants.

I'd then get a call, take the empty bin and swap it out. Or not give the bin if I needed to slow inputs to my house and hand it over later. I use this system because it would seamlessly tie in with most busy kitchens. (I always washed the bin and lid out straight after I'd emptied it so I could never be accused of returning a stinky bin that would need to sit in a kitchen)

I calculated in the three months of this trial run I processed just over a tonne of food waste that was destined for landfill. At the time I was only hot composting and bokashi composting. I didn't get chickens or build my Black Soldier Fly farm till just after so now I could potentially process a lot more. Yes I was a source of bewilderment because who the hell happily takes 120L of food waste from a cafe every week! Unfortunately the cafe closed down a few months ago so I need to find another one.

You will be doing them a massive favour, most cafes like the idea of being 'eco' and often advertise it. They also waste a ludicrous amount of food so by doing so you could be freeing up half of their weekly 240L red council bin, that's giving them a lot more freedom for their waste management. Talk to the owner and explain what you want in there, they'll then explain to staff. Labels on the bin (not lid) to remind staff as well) I used to accept meat because Bokashi, but you may not want to. Specify no bin liners because they'll be in the habit of doing so. Also no spraying anything into bin.

Great answer... very helpful Cres.  Thanks.

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service