Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hi there, I am looking for edible giant pandanus leaves ( or at least non-poisonous). We use them to wrap sticky rice dumplings in (also known as nyonya dumpling). Around this time of the year in Singapore it is sold for the home cooks but I never am able to catch the season as I am here in Singapore, and I am unable to get a scientific name for it from the food sellers.. Can anyone help?

Views: 1031

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I grow a smooth leafed pandanus with narrow leaves.  Not obviously aromatic like the ones at asian grocers.  Doesn't seem to grow a trunk or stem.  Just keeps getting bushier.  Sound familiar?

Does it look like this, Jodie?

Yes!  Definitely has the screw pine growth habit but not so long trunk as pictured - that I can see.  Been in the ground for more than six years.  Holds onto it's dead leaves underneath so I will have to fossick and have a closer look.  What if I take a photo and upload here?

So is this the culinary pandanus or not?

As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, this giant pandanus is grown for its leaves, which are not eaten but used as wrapping, like banana or bamboo leaves, in some Southeast Asian recipes. 

The P. amaryllifolius is the only species in the Pandanus genus that I would consider culinary. However, the P. tectorius (or pandan tree, but sometimes called fragrant screw pine, which is another common name for amaryllifolius - talk about confusing) is used by other cultures for herbal and/or cooking purposes.

A photo would be helpful.

Actually when I say edible, I mean it will not be poisonous for food purpose. I want to wrap the food but obviously if there are some species which are poisonous, I would not want to cook my food with them..

Yes Jodie a photo will be helpful...

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service