Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I have a few varieties of Edamame soybean seed. The easiest to grow is the Bunya variety. Even then is it for the more experienced growers because it is very attractive to sucking bugs.  Its adapted to N NSW and Qld & best planting dates are from now till about the end of January. If you'd like some just PM me.

Andrew

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

:D

yes pyrethrins not too bad for consumption, but bad for handling, and toxic to bees

thanks Joseph - interesting, and a good find 

I'm wanting to know what is the bio-mechanical pathway it uses to kill the aphids etc. The different chemicals all disrupt different cell processes - I won't be satisfied until I see a molecular biological study that isolates the pathway. i am very suspicious of biocides - human and animal cells/ systems are mostly not that different...

Neem being an oil will cause death by suffocation if applied in greater concentration but I think that's not how it's intended to be used. The active ingredient in neem as a pesticide is Azadirachtin. Azadirachtin disrupts the insects' life cycle, rather than killing them outright. That is if the insect continues to feed and consumes neem.

I also found this report.

http://www.gab-consult.de/download/Pfau_Azadirachtin_EUROTOX2009.pdf

I've conducted some crude experiments on the effects of neem on caterpillars of varying sizes. None of the caterpillars, including the newly hatched, died as a direct result of being sprayed. However all would either stop feeding on the leaf immediately or within a day. The caterpillars would either attempt to move on (escape) or become comatose until they die. The one exception were the caterpillar hordes of the cabbage moth butterfly. Once these reach a certain size, neem does not appear to deter them from feeding. Increasing the concentration had an effect but it also burnt the flower heads. That's why I've given up on the broccoli.

PS. For aphids, spider mites and whiteflies, I use a soap spray w/o neem.

This looks like a fairly thorough study produced by Cornell University.

http://web.pppmb.cals.cornell.edu/resourceguide/mfs/08neem.php

ooh yes, that's a good one. ok, so: azadirachtin prevents insects from molting by inhibiting production of ecdysone, an insect hormone.

just need to find out if we have any similar hormones - sounds like we do, given neem's (temporary) infertility effect. I wonder exactly which part of our reproductive systems is being inhibited to produce this effect - and whether any damage is sustained as a result.

It just seems too good to be true.

Have you tried Dipel for caterpillars? You can grow your own culture in milk apparently - makes it an affordable proposition(although I haven't tried doing so). Organism is Bacillus thuringiensis, which I am reasonably satisfied is pretty well targeted to caterpillars and not humans (although again, am always suspicious... people thought thalidomide was fine too...)

Edamame is the same species as regular soybean, but the differences are that it is at least double and perhaps triple the size seed, it has a higher sugar content and it is planted at a much lower plant stand (about 5 plants per m2 rather than 30). These things make it attractive to be eaten as a vegetable by humans and make it more sensitive to bug attack.

All soybean are highly attractive to sucking bugs. Many people don't notice the bugs on regular soybean because they can flit away before the person gets close. However the stings can cause the pod to abort if early in development or they be seen on the seed at maturity. Stung edamame look a bit discoloured and taste bad. 

The pyrethrins are about the only thing that kills sucking bugs, but some folk have been successful with repellants.

Ah OK. Maybe if they matured they'd get the same skin on them.

I wish I'd know about edamame earlier - I grew soybeans a couple of times, made my own soy milk (which was very beany) and stopped growing them because I wasn't really using them in the kitchen.

Pyrethrins (synthetic or from the plant) cause permanent, cumulative nerve damage in humans :( 
They wreck the active transport mechanism in nerve cells - permanently blocking the transporter proteins that traverse the cell membranes :(  
They grew okay for me in a diverse, predator rich garden - probably because I just had a couple of plants I guess.

Hmm, makes me think twice about drinking non-organic soy milk!!

Its actually the bug damage that makes them taste extremely beany.
! well there you go :)

the soy milk i made was actually from bought soy beans, not the ones i grew, which didn't have bug problems - but the bought ones could well have had plenty :)

Hi Andrew, I would love to purchase a few kegs of the Bunya variety. I would appreciate it if you could share with me where you buy them ? And are they gmo free ?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Kim

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service