Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I'm a really no fuss cook so quick and easy does for me.
For all jams and marmalades I was always told to slowly cook the fruit, quickly cook the sugar.
I like to cook up the odd bits of fruit as they become available and the following recipe works well for me.

Sterilise your jam jars and lids by washing in the dishwasher by themselves.

The basic marmalade/jam recipe that I use is....

Wash fruit (my citrus has often fallen to the ground).

Cut fruit into quarters, trim off hard centre and seeds will be easy to extract leaving fruit, pith and skin.

Place your trimmings including any tops, bottoms and seeds in small bowl.

Slice quarters finely and place in large bowl.

Add water to both bowls to fully cover the fruit and seeds/skin.

Leave covered overnight (this swells and softens the fruit and draws the pectin out of the seeds).

Put the fruit and water into a large pan, preferably no more than half full, include the water from the drained seeds plus the juice of a lemon if no lemon already included.

Slowly cook the fruit.

When the peel is softened measure what you have (number of cups) and put back in the pan, keep it warm.

Warm that many cups of sugar in the oven. Use the jam making sugar now available or use normal sugar and have in the cupboard a standby packet of jamsetta (available from Coles and Woolies) just in case your jam doesn't set.

Warming the sugar before adding it will help the jam come to the boil faster.

Place the clean jars onto a tray to warm in the oven

Place a saucer into the freezer.

Add the sugar to the fruit and boil quite rapidly till it reaches a rolling boil.

Stir to make sure it doesn’t catch.

When you notice the jam changing consistency slightly when dripping off your wooden spoon then
test the jam to see if it has reached its setting point.

Place a small dollop of the jam on to the cold saucer.

If when cooled it forms a gel and wrinkles when you press against it with your finger, then it is ready.

If not, continue boiling for a few more minutes, then test again. (Jamsetter will assist runny jam to set if you really think it isn't going to).

Pour the hot marmalade into warm jars (cold jars crack, very hot jars may over boil the jam as you put it in and take it past it's setting point)

Seal while still hot

I dip a square of cellophane in vinegar and place that over the mouth of the jar with a rubber band to hold it tight. (Fowlers Kleerview packets are available at Coles and Woolies which have precut cellophane squares, rubber bands and labels for 24 jars)

Then screw the jar lid on and allow to cool.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should not have any trouble with lemon or lime marmlade setting as they have so much natural pectin, especially if they are not mature. A quick tip, after cutting my limes I buzz them in the blender with a little water, leave some chunks,saves all the cutting but the marmalade does not look quite so fancy.

When you say "remove the middle" - does that just means the seedy bit?  Is it just skins that go into a marmalade or skins and fruit?  Thanks for your recipe Susanne.

The easy way to do it is to take the seeds out.  Put the fruit and skin into a blender to chop.  Put the blended fruit and skin  straight into the pot with the sugar.  I don't use any water.  Put the seeds into a chux cloth and hang them in the mix as it cooks.  Jam setter sugar contains a lot of pectin anyway. You shouldn't have trouble. 

Sorry to be confusing Susan, it now reads
Cut fruit into quarters, trim off hard centre and seeds will be easy to extract leaving fruit, pith and skin.
Place your trimmings including any tops, bottoms and seeds in small bowl.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service