Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hi Folks, well today, a couple of us BLF's went for a drive to Kyogle to visit the Daley's nursery that we all know and love.. and if you don't - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN HIDING?? Here's the link, be prepared to be amazed!Daley's fruit tree nursery

Now I didn't bring a pen so I'm a bit sketchy on the actual details but the gist of it will be correct. 

We were met at 9 am by the very informative and enthusiastic Andre who was an absolute fountain of knowledge and very generous with his time and produce.  This is Andre in front of one of many dedicated growhouses.

Andre walked us around the orchard that is fully enclosed by fruit fly exclusion netting.  This serves as their "stock" for most of their  grafted trees.  Very little outsourcing of planting material is done here, they try to propagate as much of their own production as possible.  With respect to new varieties, if you've ever been on Daley's website and see "in production" or "sourcing material" on a particular variety it is because they respond to consumer requests.  If you are ever chasing a particular variety, send them an email.  If they get enough interest, they will source material and add it to their plant list once propagated.  

Sorry Roger, you are almost in all of my photo's so you are now famous :)

Andre was very generous with the fruit and we tried many different fruits.  I was like a kid in a candy store and made quite a pig of myself.  Loquats, figs, Babaco, panama berries, finger limes, peanut butter tree, miracle fruit, china pear and hawaiin sunshine guava's,yacon - he encouraged us to try whatever we felt like. 

My absolute highlight was the only ripe Adriatic fig at the top of about a 3 m tree that Andre was determined to get down for me so he shook the whole branch repeatedly until it fell.  DAMN it was worth it - I'm so glad I've got this little beauty growing in my garden.  BTW the fig shown is NOT the adriatic but a brown turkey - I ate the adriatic too fast to take a photo.  The fingerlimes were a hit.  I even got to bring a little one home with me. 

The final leg of our tour involved Andre's personal project which are the Edible food biomes.  He wants to be able to show people that they don't need much space in order to grow a huge diversity of fruiting trees and groundcovers - root competition is not as big of an issue as you would think.  Any fruit tree you could think of was present in an area that would be no bigger than an average backyard.  His trick - raise the planting area on mounds.  These photo's did not do his biomes justice. Hope you enjoyed this folks - it was an amazing experience.  Daley's is a family run business that has been operating for 30 years and are an example of how by implementing innovative marketing practices and occupying a niche,  independent nurseries can survive. They have really adapted to the changing market place and 90% of their sales are now online.  This is supported by their very informative videos on everything from cincturing fruit trees to planting avocados, wide range of unique products and accurate, information on suitable climate conditions for their products (believe me, being able to trust their info is no small feat - I shudder at the thought of how many people have bought the stone fruit trees INCLUDING CHERRIES that I've seen some of our big chain box stores selling to the unsuspecting gardener).  Go check out their site - you might find something you've been chasing or in my case, develop a full blown addiction!!

Happy gardening folks. 

Views: 520

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dragonman, the tree supplied by you, would that be the upright one with unusual shaped leaves.  I have not seen that one before.  One of my earlier purchases was the broad leaf papaya, which is growing but appears to be stressed, as the edge of the leaves have curled up.  Does Mike T have a website?

The loquat was Bessel brown, and quite a nice taste, different from the ones I used to have when I was a kid.

The guava named Starlings Seedless, is that from you as well.  Nice to have something named after you. Well done.

Mike doesn't have a website, no. You can fin him on tropical fruit forum though, he's active with some regularity there.

The broadleaf is an interesting variety of papaya alright, but you have to be careful that you get a female. They're not bisex I believe. Seedless guava did come from me yes.

Lissa, can't remember what he called it but I think it was some kind of indian spice (I think).  5 was actually peanut butter fruit.  Truly does taste like peanut butter and is on my "to buy list when I figure out some more room or plant in extended backyard".

An Amla tree, or Phyllanthus emblica.  Amla oil is used in hair shampoo, and other medicinal practices.

Thanks Christa, the oil of the Amla tree is also known as Indian Gooseberry oil, the tannin in Alma oil has been used in inks and in various shampoos as well as a combatant against premature graying and hair loss.

Just thought I would let you all know that Daley's now have 5 Panama Berry Trees for sale.

RSS

Fresh Local Provisions: Fresh Food, Local and Online

About this site

Welcome to Brisbane Local Food (BLF)!

This site was created by Scarlett Patrick, to build capacity in the Brisbane  community for growing, buying, and living sustainably. Six years on, BLF is an important hub to promote, discuss, share and learn about local food growing, production, gardens, services and activities happening in our part of the world.

This site exists for you - make the most if it!

BLF is motivated by passion, not profit. We thank all volunteers and members who make this an active and inspiring space to be, as well as those individuals, organisations and groups working to make the future greener.

What is local?
The closer the better - but regional and global activities are important too.

Why local?
To reduce food miles, increase food freshness & security, improve social outcomes and reduce the unused outputs of our living environments - like stormwater and green waste.

Brisbane is a sub-tropical city in Queensland, Australia.

Organic Farm Share

Ads by Google

More Google ads

© 2017   Created by Farina Murray.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service