Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hello BLF!

My name is Siobhan Colombo and I'm a graduate ecologist and doctoral researcher from the Cities Research Institute at Griffith Uni.

My field of research is biophilic urbanism which is an emerging paradigm in urban planning that considers nature as a primary focus in all planning and legislative decisions. This includes both conservation of existing natural features and the inclusion of natural elements in the creation of our urban environment. This approach benefits the urban community physically (e.g. mitigating the Urban Heat Island effect, managing runoff, improving air quality) and increases our well-being, simply through daily exposure to the vitality of nature.

The end result of this design template is the creation of a biophilic city - that is, a nature loving city :)

Globally, this paradigm has been actively pursued by many cities. The benefits, perhaps obvious to people such as ourselves, are becoming more pronounced, and both contributing factors and implementation pathways are becoming clearer. To various extents, community gardens are an essential part of every currently recognised biophilic city - they enable food security, increase the presence of ecologically effective surface area and, perhaps most importantly, provide an excellent vector for long-term social change.

As active community gardeners, I'd really like to learn about your own perceptions of urban nature and how you might define a nature loving city. Please feel free to add to this dialogue because it’s not only an opportunity for me to understand your perspective, but also a legitimate and powerful method for you guys, as Brisbanites, to contribute to a process that will ultimately benefit our city and planet :)

Cheers,

Siobhan :)

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awww shucks! Thanks for that Dianne :)

Access is big part of an area's sense of place, both access to and within said space. The idea of specifically designing for sensory access as well is such a great idea! :)

And you will never hear me say no to more art, more green space or more local products!

Sounds fascinating and hopeful. Is there any plan for location/s for this city yet Siobhan?

G'Day Lissa :)

There are many separate/individual examples of biophilic design and elements here in Brissy however the perspective shift required to engage biophilic urbanism as the dominant planning approach is yet to occur :(

My own research is part of a MUCH larger effort to address/challenge the identified barriers to mainstreaming BU here in Australia - said barriers are things like a lack of legislative support and accurate local baseline data.

I am working on developing an assessment protocol, based on digital geospatial analysis and secondary data, in an attempt to provide an economical method of collecting baseline data (of both the built environment AND the attitudes/behaviours of our population) and creating visualisations for multidisciplinary consultations.

That's a fancy way of saying I use a computer to measure stuff and make pictures so that the legislators understand what is and what should be ;) :)

So while Brissy definitely engages nature in its urban environment, we are yet to engage the principles of BU wholesale...but we're working on it! :)

Cheers,

Siobhan

If you are free on Friday morning, come along to our workshop! Free morning tea and a chance to contribute to the effort! :)

Mapping for Nature Loving Cities

Thanks for the invitation Siobhan but I work FT M-F, but thanks anyway. Gayle will represent us admirably! She knows how to put her thoughts into words ;)

No worries at all! I am looking forward to meeting Gayle :)

wow Friday sounds like an awesome experience and worthwhile undertaking pity its a work day - Will Gayle be able to tell us some more about what is talked about on Friday ? Its good to get a few perspectives ! 

G'Day Mary-Ann :)

While I can't speak for Gayle, I can definitely disseminate the discussions/results/outcomes here on BLF, if you guys would like? There will also be a dedicated site up within the coming weeks which you can peruse at your own leisure :)

Furthermore, there is an accompanying survey to be created from Friday's program - if any of you are interested in completing it, I can share it (either here, if appropriate, or via email).

And of course, you can email me or post on my page here, if you like :)

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service