Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Hi folks, 

So today, I was looking at my overflowing coriander pot and felt so guilty about hardly using it.  Keep in mind that I have another pot started with seeds as I turn these over every 6-8 weeks to keep successive plants going. 

So I went looking for a recipe to use it up that was warm and comforting on this rainy day.  I found a Sweet potato and coriander soup recipe that also used ginger (Tick) and chillies (Tick) which I grow abundantly in my garden. "Perfect"! I thought.  Here's the recipe - I use a thermomix but is easily adjustable to food processor.

1.  Add 1 quartered brown onion, 2 cm nub of ginger and 1 chilli to bowl.  Chop 2 sec speed 6

2. Add 30g olive oil -Saute 4 min 100 degrees speed 1 (Mc off) 

3. Add 1/4 tspn cumin seeds, 600g chucky cut sweet potato and chop 5 sec speed 6 

4. Add 200g coconut cream (I used Ayam brand), 400g of water, and 1 tablespoon of vege stock.   Cook 25 minutes 98 degrees (just under strong boil to stop cream from splitting) speed 1 (MC off)

5.  Add large handful of coriander and blend 1 min speed 9.  Serve with bread.  

This is my final product and it was amazing!! Definitely making this again.  I'm sure it would work just as well with pumpkin. 

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that looks really good!

If you are still over supplied, the Trinidadians use 'Green Sauce' a lot. Always handy.

They may grow a lot of Cilantro but corirander will substitute:

RECIPE HERE.

You’ll need…

1 bundle of Cilantro (about 1-2 cups)
1 stalk of celery (include leaves if you have it)
1 head or garlic (about 11 cloves)
4 green onions (scallions)
1 bunch of fresh thyme (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup of water
pinch of salt (optional)
2-3 shallots (optional)
2 pimento peppers (1 banana pepper or 1 Cubanelle)

Freeze in ice cubes.

ANOTHER RECIPE HERE.

It was Paiul.  I’m wondering if that green sauce would freeze well Dave?  I can’t get coriander to grow during summer and am thinking about freezing it while I’ve got plenty

As I am thinking. Yes it freezes. But in the Craibbean you can buy this green sauce in bottles. It's a standard for the region.-- although there are many family recipes.

Simplest is to air dry the Coriander. Keeps forever in a sealed container. Suspect frozen it would thaw to mush.

It's a sauce not leaf textures. Frozen coriander stems do indeed thaw to mush. Not very useful in that form -- that's why making a sauce makes sense. And freezing is trays that measure dosage.

As I say this sauce -- based on coriander or cilantro -- is a regional essential.

This is how they sell cilantro in Trinidad at the markets (tropical country/ less chance of growing coriander):

There is a ferment option -- which I've not tried. You can also pickle the GREEN seeds.

Ferments like this can be hard to maintain in optimum shape as protecting the surface from oxidation is often not a kitchen routine.

2–3 bunches (about 1⁄2 pound) cilantro

1⁄2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt

1. Remove the leaves from the stems. Put into a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Mix in the salt, and the leaves will immediately start to sweat. Using your hands, gently toss and massage the salt into the leaves. The leaves will wilt quickly and start to brine. Don’t expect a lot of brine; this is almost a dry ferment. It should taste salty but still pleasing; if not, then add a bit more salt.

2. Press the leaves into a pint jar. Top the fer- ment with a quart-sized ziplock bag. Press the plastic down onto the top of the ferment, then fill it with water and seal.

3. Set aside on a baking sheet to ferment, some- where nearby, out of direct sunlight, and cool, for 4 to 7 days. Check daily to make sure the leaves are submerged, pressing if needed to bring the brine back to the surface. You may see scum on top; it’s generally harmless, but consult the appendix if you’re at all concerned. The leaves will become a deep green wilted color.

4. You can start to test the ferment on day 4. When you taste-test it, the sour is not as obvious as the salt. Ferment longer if more acidity is desired.

5. For storage, press a small round of plastic wrap or wax paper directly onto the surface of the ferment. Screw on the lid and store in the refrigerator, checking periodically that the ferment is submerged. This ferment will keep, refrigerated, for 6 months.

RSS

Support Brisbane Local Food

Please support our Brisbane Local Food community.  Donations can be made directly to Andy's paypal account.  These are in Australian dollars.  Donations of $5 and above will be gratefully received and used only to pay for BLF web-hosting.  A donation of $25 will pay to host the site for a calendar month!

Donate to BLF on this link

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

© 2018   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service