Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Ten days ago I tried to make Rosella Jam and Cordial, but ran out time before I could finish the job. 

For the Rosella Cordial (boiled whole flowers until colour leached out, then strain measure and add equal amount of sugar).  The last step before bottling was to add Citric Acid and I didn't have any of course and the shop was closed - it was a public holiday.  I think the purpose of this step is to allow it to be kept for longer before it goes mouldy.  The cordial has been kept in a glass bottle in the fridge.  Can I reboil it and add the citric acid now and is there any benefit of this ingredient?

The jam didn't set and I didn't have any jamsetta - ditto with the shop being closed.  I tried adding a bit of lemon rind but it still didn't set.  The whole pot is sitting in the fridge, can I reboil it and add jamsetta then put it in jars?  If the answer is yes, the next question for this one is how long do I have to do this... can I wait until Saturday?

Lesson learned from this is to make sure you have time to finish before starting a project!  I was halfway through doing a completely different gardening job and with the seceatears in hand decided to harvest the rosellas's.  Obviously once harvested they had to be processed and I was completely unprepared for that with no ingredients, jars, or even time!

Views: 1346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, just put them the home-made seed raising mixture - perlite (or vermiculite) and coir (the ones that comes in a block and soaked). Must be kept moist.
Um.. with all this talk on Rosella.. makes me wonder.. how does Rosella taste like?
Nearest in flavour is plum.
delicious! have you ever had Red Zinger tea? that's flavoured with Rosella. You can often find rosella jam on cake stalls and at fetes (but get in quick! :)
Donna, why not use your jam mix as a sauce for topping icecream, or to go with meatballs etc?
yes, and to add a touch to gravies and sauces and casseroles etc I'm a bit of a fiend with cranberry sauce in the same way. it would be divine on cake with custard too
Stop! Too drool-worthy! I use el cheepo SPC spicy plum sauce on Indian-style food. Rosella sauce would be superb.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service