Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

has anyone had success growing Camellia sinensis

in the Brisbane area?  Go Green rainforest nursery has some 

Views: 713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Phil & I were discussing this at GV - we didn't quite know. Epicurious at Southbank had some, not sure if they were moved or removed - could maybe check with them?
I had a chat to the Epicurious gardeners yesterday and they said the Tea Plant is fine to grow here. They recently transplanted them to give them more space but like a sunny spot :)

I think it will be up to one of us to give it a go. Any idea how much Go Green nursery charges for a seedling?

awaiting reply from Go green but did hear it was $22 

There is a wholesaler who may be able to help with info. They are a long lived shrub if you can manage to grow one.  Would love to know how you go with growing and processing the leaves.

tried to find a pant today at the BOGI fair no tea but had to come home before we totally filled the car with plants !!!!! it was super AWESOME! just spent several hours planting and more to do tomorrow !!!! 

I purchased my Camellia sinensis from Whitehouse Nursery  https://www.whitehousenursery.com.au/fruit-and-berries/product/421-...

I have it in a small pot it has been quite successful but it got a little sad when I was in hospital last year and is still recovering. The plant was very small when I first received it.

So pleased you had a good time at BOGI fair, would have loved to go but so hard for me now I am not allowed to drive.

Camellia sinensis - Tea Plant

• Camellia sinensis - Tea Plant

This is the plant they use to make tea. It is a slow growing evergreen that has fragrant flowers that bloom in spring. It is the leaves that one makes tea from.

Black Tea is made when the leaves are fermented then dried.

Green Tea is made when the leaves are steamed and then dried.

Tea has many health benefits through it's antioxidants.

Height to 2m Width to 1.5 - 2m. Prefers dappled shade. Drought and Frost tolerant. 75mm Pot

What did you get ? :D

have ordered one from go green at Landsborough they dont have any in stock at the moment - does any one know if they will grow from cutting - most Camelias do easily !

Camellia sinensis plants are being sold at Bunnings (Warner at least) for around $20 (from memory). There were 6 or more when I saw them in the Camellia section.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service