Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I think these wasps have appeared on BLF before... here they are again.

The process they use still requires the caterpillar to live? (kinda) and eat more of your brassica. Their advantage comes next, when they don't allow the caterpillar to pupate, instead, the wasp larvae emerge from the host caterpillar forming their own clump of cocoons (I assume they are called cocoons).

In the photo below, you can see the victim caterpillar on left (hanging) just after the parasite wasp larvae have emerged, and on the right, wasps emerging from the slightly older cocoons. The original host caterpillar for these ones would be long gone.

The following National Geo article link describes the process in more detail as well as adding another surprising and neutralising layer of parasitic attack against the wasps themselves!

hyperparasites-wasps

The wasps in the  photo are not a hyperparasite that the article is named after (although Cotesia glomerata is the victim of the next layer/tier predator wasp).

Views: 657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good to know Darren. Rob gave me some and I thought they tasted very nice but was put off from growing them due to how long it takes to produce ripe fruit. I think I'll rethink this decision.

here I was with 20 minutes to myself - not long enough to start a new job before we do a garden visit with the Dayboro group and so I thought I would meditate on the **** week it has been ( 3 brown snakes , birth and lose of a batch of chickens , 2 funerals ( human) and some surgery that needs to be redone) good news rain and someone else likes horned melons - love them and yes they like the pumpkins just keep coming up in the strangest places and to top it off an awesome joke from Rob - thanks !!!! made my day ! 

How do you eat horned cucumbers? The ones I opened were 90 percent seeds to say nothing of the spikes.

Our week was topped off by the weird goings-on in the U.S. Enough to make anyone weep.

Terrible week for me as well Must have been the Super Moon, I too have to go into hospital next week to have an operation redone. Though we had a Lovely Day today with Friends coming for lunch, and this rain has been wonderful this afternoon.

I hope it's a brief visit next week to the hospital Dianne, there's no place like home tap tap tap.

I know Phil likes the cucumbers mature and I believe the seeds go down with the rest, Quote from Phil.... "But in my opinion it tastes better than a kiwi fruit! Has a nice refreshing 'tang' and a hint of banana perfect for a hot summer day. The seeds are no problem (unless you want to save them) and are covered with an interesting green jelly that gives the fruit it's taste."

Making your day Mary-Ann and Darren laugh has created a pleasant cooling effect on this hot and humid day... Thanks :)

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service