Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

After a lot of progress today (bought and potted a lot of seedlings - strawberries, chives, baby broccoli, thyme, purple carrots) I bought 1.5kg of skinless chicken thighs from the supermarket deli and cooked them for the first time on a wire rack over coals...

I cooked them on a combination of charcoal and glowing coals from old peach tree branches, combined with a little bit of hickory shavings for smoke. The coals were contained in a small, old metal smoker box. I marinated the thighs in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano for about 4 hours beforehand, and wrapped up a little aluminium foil parcel of red onion, carrot, butter, garlic and rosemary for dropping into the coals.

Yum :-) Best meat I've ever eaten! Now imagine if it was home-reared, free range, old breed chicken...

No more gas BBQs for me!

Photo is of the glowing coals in the old smoker and the chicken pushed to one side.

Daniel.

Views: 81

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is the only way we ever BBQ at my place.. we did it over a brazier and it is the best thing.. Kevin refuse to ever buy one of those Gas BBQ :) 

Have you try chicken wing on those, Hong Kong style.. to die for :)

Might get Kevin to butterfly some Quails and give it a go.. 

I wish I never bought my gas BBQ - now I have seed trays on it out in the sun!

Never tried Hong Kong style chicken wings... how are they made?

Quail also sounds awesome - let me know how that goes!

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service