Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I've been making heaps of this. It's been absolutely fabulous for powering through and storing the banana excess in a very palatable way. I've recently made banana yoghurt icecream, pawpaw yoghurt icecream, banana/pawpaw combinations and added a lot of passionfruit pulp and grated coconut variations as well. All yummy, all good.

It's very healthy compared to the paint stripper you can buy in the supermarket (seriously, it's made out of paint stripper, we did it in chemistry in high school - most of them don't even have milk products in them).

I think the icecream maker is a very solid investment. It's really handy for food gardens - gets rid of your egg and fruit excesses. You can make pavlova to use up the eggs and passionfruit, then use the leftover egg yolks to make standard icecream and add bananas, macadamias, chocolate chips, vanilla essence or pods, rosewater, saffron, turmeric, ginger, pawpaw, strawberries, raspberries, stewed rhubarb, custard apple - whatever you want. Totally funky and delicious. I've made standard banana icecream in the past, but recently have been doing the quick, very healthy and equally delicious yoghurt based version - great on warm banana cake ;)

The basic banana yoghurt recipe is this:

300g mashed banana
250g natural yoghurt
110g sugar (I use a very big blob of honey to taste instead)

(or substitute pawpaw pulp - I just scrape a ripe one out with a spoon). Vanilla essence is a nice addition too. Mix and whack it in your icecream maker.

You can also make a yoghurt 'icecream' using runny fruit ingredients (whereas runny/ acid ingredients won't work with a custard base):

300g natural yoghurt
3 tbsps double cream
170 g sugar (or substitute honey - delicious flavour)
250 ml lemon juice or passionfruit pulp or a mixture, any juice or runny pulp will work - kiwi fruit, grapefruit etc

If you use the sugar mix it to dissolve into the dairy products, then add the lemon juice/ passsionfruit pulp whilst stirring

Or you can make a sorbet style one out of fruit ingredients:

175 honey
450 ml grapefruit juice

Gently warm the honey and stir in 4 spoonfuls of the juice
Mix into the remaining juice in a jug
Cool for at least 12 hours in the fridge before putting into the ice cream maker

or a real sorbet from fruit juice:

300 g sugar
300 ml water
400 ml orange juice

bring the sugar and water to a boil and cool to room temperature (consider plonking in a sink of water to cool quickly so it doesn't start to caramelise)
stir in the orange juice and cool for 12 hours in the fridge before putting in the icecream maker

If only the fruit glut was in summer....(I wonder how long icecream would keep in the freezer?)

Apparently you can make icecream without a maker - you put it in a frozen container, whip it with a whisk then freeze it for an hour, and you do this about 3 times. I tried it as a kid and had very poor results, but adult ingenuity might find a way.

The maker is great - you freeze the bowl, pour the stuff in, add the beater thing on top and press go. It goes beep when it's ready and you put it in the freezer - totally easy and fool proof. Custard style icecreams are more palaver (says jamie oliver - speaking of which I made his semi-freddo once and it was DIVINE) - you have to make the custard the day before and muck around whisking things on stoves. But it's still easy and the kids love it.

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting... um...will pay attention to ice-cream makers
lol
Sounds really yummy, maybe next year I will have excess produce to make some of these - got the banana/ paw paw/ passionfruit covered hopefully!
Can you share the make of your ice-cream maker? where did you get it? Thanks.
Ours is a 'Krups'. We've had it for about two years and it works well, no problems so far. It was a gift, but I think you can get them in most whitegoods shops. There is a also a website - www.krups.com
cheers SJP

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service