Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Anyone who is interested in gut health may find some of these titles useful. So much written in the field is hyped up and a recent SBS segment on EMT got my daughter excited.

Nonetheless, research progress is well worth monitoring.

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Been ploughing my way through those GMO videos that are free to download. One recurring theme is how GMOs are implicated in many varieties of gut-health issues in both non-human and human animals. Eg BT makes holes in grub stomachs and it makes holes in ours too ('leaky gut syndrome') from eating the BT-affected crops and animals.

As an estimate, Elaine, what proportion of the local Australian supermarket diet is ruled by GMOs? So much of the targeted protest is focused on the USA.

Currently, the only genetically modified food crops produced in Australia are canola and cotton, but a variety of other GM foods can be imported and used as an ingredient in packaged foods. Foods where GM ingredients are highly refined do not need to be labelled as containing GM products.

The main sources of GM foods in Australia
GM ingredient Foods they are commonly found in
Imported GM soya Potato chips, margarine, mayonnaise, crackers, soy tofu, soy milk, soy flour, soy lecithin, soybean oil, pastries, chocolate.
Imported GM corn Corn chips, corn oil, corn flour, corn syrup. Corn foods with the kernel. Processed corn starch is a sweetener in drinks, sweets, bread, cakes, breakfast cereal, sauces, gravy mixes and syrups. 
Imported GM sugar beet Can be used to produce sugar used in processed foods.
Cottonseed oil from GM cotton Used for frying in the food industry (e.g. for fish and chips), smallgoods casings, snack foods, baked foods, mayonnaise and salad dressings.
Imported GM potatoes Potatoes in snack foods, processed potato products and other processed food.
GM canola Fried foods, baked products and snack food.

I suspect little actually for us. Yet. There has been moves by proponents to have more GM crops in Oz. The more people understand what is at stake, the less likely we are to have much of a GM industry. It should be labelled however. What are they hiding? From listening to the talks, they are hiding a helluva lot.

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

VETIVER COMMUNITY PROJECT

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

The Vetiver Community Project is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service