Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

I finally got around to buying a big plastic garbage bin, now I just need to check what I can put in to make my own liquid fertiliser. I am sure that there is a specific brew for each and every plant but I don't have the space for more than one or two of these bins.

In the one bin, can I mix chicken manure & large leaves from my garden (eg broccoli and/ or non seeding weeds - I am still trying to get some comfrey going from seed) with water and wait for a month then dilute and water onto vegetable plants?

I am still trying to get some comfrey

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if you dig up even a little bit of root it will shoot - where is there some growing? maybe beelarong or northey st?
i've got a bit but i've been torturing it with high sun and no water because i'm terrified it will take over, so no good for splitting
Your brew sounds good - i recommend checking with a pH kit - both your brew and the soil. Really colour of weak tea for dilution - I always tend to make medium tea and then things get potassium burn. Anything works in terms of leaves, but comfrey, nettles (do we have them up here?), elderberry leaves all have 'activation' properties.
plus seaweed is really good for trace elements
D some helpful hints from Elain Ingham (Soil Food Web) check it out she is the master of liquid ferts..........
Aeration must be adequate to extract the maximum amount of soluble nutrients, and to maintain oxygen in aerobic concentrations in order to produce a tea high in aerobic bacteria and fungi, and with maximum extraction of protozoa and nematodes. The more diverse the community of microorganisms extracted and grown under aerobic conditions, the greater the disease suppression and the better nutrient retaining the tea will be. The greater the concentration of nutrients extracted, the more food there is to grow beneficial bacteria and fungi in the tea during the brewing cycle and after the tea is sprayed out.

It is CRITICAL to understand that tea must remain aerobic. If too great a concentration of food resources for the bacteria and fungi are added, the growth of the organisms will be so rapid, that they will consume oxygen more rapidly than oxygen can be added into the tea. The tea will go anaerobic, and then human pathogens can grow in the tea.

Any compost tea machine can be caused to go anaerobic, if too much microbial food is added, too much compost, and aeration is lacking.

Compost tea is used to add bacteria, fungi, protozoa and nematodes to the soil or onto foliage. Compost tea also contains soluble nutrients that feed the organisms in the tea and may feed plants. Use compost tea any time organisms in the soil or on the plants are lower than optimum levels. Chemical-based pesticides, fumigants, herbicides and some synthetic fertilizers kill the beneficial microorganisms that encourage plant growth, either in the soil or on foliage. Compost teas improve the life in the soil and on plant surfaces and help plants take-up the nutrients they require, and suppress diseases at the same time as building soil structure, and reduce erosion and loss of nutrients into drinking water. High quality compost tea of will inoculate the leaf surface and soil with beneficial microorganisms, instead of destroying them.

Given a good set of organisms (see Compost Tea Standards for what those numbers are), the following benefits can be brought about:

Improved plant growth
Reduced application rates of chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers
Reduced impacts of chemical-based pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers on beneficial microorganisms in the ecosystem
Occupation of infection sites on the plant surface so pathogens cannot infect the leaf
Improved uptake of plant nutrients through influences on stomata,
Increased numbers of organisms on and around plants to compete with disease-causing organisms, reducing disease incidence,
Retention of microorganisms in soil or on leaf surfaces, resulting in an increase in retention of nutrients,
Increased plant nutritional quality,
Production costs are reduced
Reduced application of toxic chemicals, thus reducing run-off into lakes and streams,
Reduced toxic impacts on humans and pets.

D to get good aeration use a fish tank aerator they are cheep............
A
D I have posted some technical info in GTT for compost teas.......
Hope it helps
A
Thanks A I have added a reply for your consideration.... ;)

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service