Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Admittedly I've been totally slack about watering them (like maybe every 10 days, but they're well mulched).

They're growing in a no dig garden - 30cm hay, 20cm compost, 10cm hay mulch - on a soil base. Companion planting is broad beans. They looked totally healthy until last week, then sick and horrible within days. They are kipflers, virus free - fresh from a catalogue this year.

Will I have to quarantine this bed for potatoes now? What about other solanaceae (tomatoes/ eggplants)? Is there anything I can plant to clean it up?

Should have kept the water up more, given them a chance to fight off whatever it is. I'm guessing a virus...?

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scarlett, the photo is a little difficult to use as a complete tool for diagnosis but it would appear your Irish name and likely heritage has caught up to you, its the same vehicle that created such epic situations as Irish potato famine, (potato Blight) or black spot virus.......

Pull them and quarantine the bed grow coriander and mustard and things homeopathic in that bed for a season.........don't plant more solanaceae into the area they wont be so susceptible but will harbour the root environment for continuation.........EM microbes will defeat it will ring you when I get a chance.....
sorry about that home grown spuds are a true delight, to be sure.
Anthony
drat - that's what i'm suspecting too.

what makes 'em susceptible to blight? where does it come from? will have to go do some research. peter's cityfood growers website, here i come
Oh no, that's terrible! My potatoes have yet to sprout so I hope they do okay. My garden is having some issues at the moment that we are fighting through. The zuchinni has some sort of white spot fungus that I have been cutting big leaves off and hoping for the best, they are still fruiting and flowering so I have left them in but the cucumbers will have to go elsewhere when they sprout, as will the pumpkin if I put some more in... And I think one of my four hertitage tomatoes have tomato leaf roll - I will get out and diagnose on the weekend as I downloaded information at work today. At least the other three seem fine and from what little I have read so far it seems like it will still produce, just have a smaller crop.
some of mine didn't sprout too - they've probably rotted i figure
For Blight I found this quote which doesn't quite fit with current weather?
"In Britain the "temperature-humidity rule" devised by Beaumont in 1947 is used. When 2 consecutive days of humidity over 75% and a temperature above 10 C occur, blight tends to develop 15 to 22 days later. A date is set for the high risk periods and it varies for different regions. These "Beaumont periods" are announced on the radio to give growers time to spray their crops before the disease sets in. This reduces the amount of chemicals used as spraying is only necessary if an attack is imminent."

Had a look on the interweb and it looks more likely to be (PED potato early dying). Might be worth having a closer look at the plant.

Symptoms from http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/pages/hort/hort_crops/potatoes/early_dyi...

The most common symptom of PED is similar to natural senescence, that is a gradual yellowing and death of leaves followed by defoliation. Generally these symptoms proceed up the stem which will often remain erect rather than wilting and flopping over after it dies. Sometimes this occurs on one side of the plant and is often associated with a reddish brown staining within the main stem, obvious only when the affected stems are sliced at an angle near the soil line. Severe symptoms do not usually appear until after flowering and can appear on individual plants, groups of plants or entire crops. In some cultivars a brown staining may also develop internally at the stem end of tubers.

The diagnosis of PED from these symptoms alone is not highly recommended, as they are not distinct from other diseases or nutritional problems causing similar symptoms.
yay - thanks for the link D
SJP
Donna I think you're right - " Potato Early Dying Syndrome"
So that would make it a verticillium wilt - ie fungal vascular infection. Supported by the blotchy necrosis (tissue death), and would explain the veinal chlorosis (loss of green colour in the veins).
Which means there's nothing to be done - just need to buy resistant varieties, as it survives for several years in the soil, is soil and seed borne, and you can't de-activate it without nasty biocides.
Next time I try (in a different spot) I probably shouldn't let the potatoes get stressed either - I better get busy with that bucket, rain or no. Reasonable photos at http://www.umanitoba.ca/afs/fiw/060126.html

I might try a tyre tower again - had great success with that, don't seem to be having nearly as much joy using time honoured methods...
Hmm not sure if this is whats hapened with our spuds but ours sudenly die back from super halth vigorus plants and both times we have been surprised to find a fat crop beneath, have you cheked. Yes I know they where suposed to flower ours didnt but still the crop.

happy scratching oliver
yes, figured i better have a look and we had beautiful scalloped kipfler bake on Friday night. Not that many though (this from two plants)- but at least we got some :)
maybe they just decided they were ready?

my beans still haven't set. can't be long now. i want the space for spring things!

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2020   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service