Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Supermaket chain Tesco has announced that a range of its own-brand products will carry labels showing the size of the goods' carbon footprints.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7371033.stm

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Food carbon calculator

Food choices for consumers can take up a very big proportion of their carbon footprint. Is anyone in this group aware of a functioning food carbon calculator for Australia? I ask this question because one of the goals I have on my web site at www.cityfoodgrowers.com.au is to have a food carbon calculator enabling people to see the impact on their carbon footrpint by changing their food behaviour from their current practices to more of growing their own and buying local.

It is very problemmatic to determine the variables with this in Australia, since no labelling exists and you would not expect our "food majors" to want to disclose this sort of information.

Perhaps there are some general data sets that could be used to help show changes in carbon levels. I have been searching for this information as well as the calculation logic for some time now and have not made much progress on it.

Look forward to any comments.
It would be great if we all had access to the right information to inform our decisions. Some rating systems seem to exist - eg in UK - but only for a select few products that provide the right info. Needs legislation probably. Wouldn't it be good if all food products included info on:
* ingredients
* where (exactly) they come from - ie provenance/ region
* which social group they come from
* who the manufacturer is
* GHG emissions - lifecyle calculation
* how much water was used
* cost obviously

and for non-perishables an indication of durability and repairability.
Guys, there are many calculators appearing all over the place, but none that I have encountered that are able to deal with the full range of complexities involved with calculating the total food miles, carbon footprint generated and accountable inputs to create an item....
It will probably happen one day, but it will be a work of love by a virtual IT genius no doubt
Anthony

RSS

Important note about adding photos:

Always add photos using the "From my computer" option, even if you are on a mobile phone or other device.

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

GrowVetiver

Vetiver grass helps to stabilise soil and protects it against erosion.  It can protect against pests and weeds. Vetiver is also used as animal feed. (Wiki.)

GrowVetiver is a plant nursery run by Dave & Keir Riley that harvests and grows Vetiver grass for local community applications and use. It is based in Beachmere, just north of Brisbane, Australia.

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2021   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service