Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Taking notice of planetary impacts when working with food plants has been around for a very long time and it can have a big impact on success in gardening. Biodynamic gardening practices have a very strong orientation around recognising the affects of planetary influences for planting, cultivating or harvesting plants grouped into root, leaf, flower/grain and fruit. I would be interested to know from the group members who considers planetary impacts when they work with their gardens.

I've been working with Biodynamics for a number of years now and have been a big user of the Astro Calendar created by Brian Keats. Its an amazing tool and very beautifully designed. On my www.cityfoodgrowers.com.au planting calendar I have managed to incorporate some of Brian Keat's data into our localised planting calendar.
This means that not only is the planting search localised to your garden bed temperature profile, but it will also tell you for the plant you have selected within the month of search, which days in the month are ideal to plant/cultivate or harvest. I included this because it was a continual challenge of mine with using the calendar, ie Brian's calendar would tell me I could plant, say fruit on a day of the month, but that didn't mean it was actually the right temperature or time of the year to plant based on where I lived. The calendar on my web site now deals with this.

Look forward to comments as this is a favourite area of mine, as I will no doubt think it is of Anthony Foo's as well.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peter, you are starting to know me well,
Scarlett, myself and many other members of this site I'm sure are grateful for the work you have done to include the fabulous, (but possibly confusing for some folks) work of Brian Keats antipodean combined with the relevance of local input data for your planting guide. It is at a glance stuff now, which had to happen I feel for wider acceptance. Astral planting is the best method but time consuming sometimes. the difference it can make is astounding when a person first gets into it.
Anthony

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service