Brisbane Local Food

Growing local

Gardens list
You can add your garden to this site too

Views: 1112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scarlett

Firstly well done on the website - I am very impressed! The community garden that I enjoy out my way is Alexandra Hills Permaculture Gardens at Keith Surridge Park, Windmere Road, Alex Hills. It is relatively new but for the little time it has been running it has drawn a good crowd and the gentlemen who organises the garden, is a good man - 75 years and still strong!

I have been a very active vegie gardener pretty much all my life and now I live in the Redlands - on the red "salad bowl / strawberry patch" of SE Qld. In the time I have lived here roughly 5years, I have driven into Albion to attend the Brisbane Organic Growers Inc (BOGI) meetings. Its a sabbath day's journey and have decided its time for a ROGI - Redland Organice Grower Inc. I have registered the name and now want it see who in the Redlands is keen to establish a community non profit org to do what BOGI do - talk fruit and vege - sell produce and organic products and have a seed bank for exchange or sale. I hope you I can maybe promote this on your website - I thought a launch in Spring would be appropriate, so sometime in September and the Alex Hills Community Gardens are having an open day in mid Spring so I may tie the launch in with that - your thoughts, any comments...
Regards
Emma Baker
Hello
Sounds great!
I suggest you could start a couple of discussions - maybe Alexandra Hills Community garden in the community gardens section and ROGI in the products and services. I can "feature them on main" so they get good exposure through this website.

You could add a friends of ROGI group, or an Alexandra Hills Gardening Group as well. Might be a handy way to communicate amongst yourselves. Basically you're welcome to use this site for anything you can think of.

You can add events to the event calendar, and it has an RSVP function which might be handy. You can invite your friends to join the site too.

You can email an invite out to all members as well - there's a link for this from the events
page.

I like the Indigiscapes nursery out in redlands too.

grow well :)
SJP
I wish there was one close by me, everything seems to be on the North side. Maybe I should contact BCC and see if they will let me have a least on a park in Inala and sponsor/ help me get one started. The people at Northey St said a survey of their customers showed a lot of people travel there from the Western Suburbs. Do you have any goss on the likely hood of one being established here Scarlett?
D the closest one to you I think is the one near fig tree pocket just of Centenary Hwy, just of Seventeen miles rocks rd Sinnamon park, left I think into Counihan rd at the roundabout, one of the gardeners will know Liz Cameron or Ed Parker email one of them for definite directions, I have only been there once and cant exactly remember, If I were trying to find it I could but memory fails me.
Anyway if I am right about the street name its in the park under the cliff wall.
A
Hi Donna, I'm interested in one more local to us too - let me know if you make any progress. I'm thinking of asking my church (Acacia Ridge Baptist) if we could set up a small patch there. Will keep you posted.

Vanessa
Hi Donna,

There is one on Church land in Inala. I think it is just called Inala Community Gardens (at least I think that is what I painted on the sign for them). It was fairly young a couple of years ago, but had some decent funding through a community group which shared the space a bit. If you are interested, I could get the address for you, from memory, it was on the main drag into Inala/Acacia Ridge.
Hi Donna, Only just noticed your message, and Anthony's reply referring to our Rocks Community Farm community garden at Rocks Riverside Park in Seventeen Mile Rocks:
Refer: http://sustainablejamboree.org/index.php?option=com_content&tas...

We are hosting an informal gathering of community gardens next Saturday:
http://brisbanelocalfood.ning.com/events/qcg11-11th-qld-city-farms-and

See also Brisbane City Council website for locations of community gardens, if you have not already seen this:
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:CITY_SMART:1940371552:pc=PC_5730

Ed

BBC has a page about "Starting a community garden"

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/environment-waste/green-living/commu...

I wish the list of community garden on the BBC website had a bit more information. We rocked up to one and it was completely fenced off. We couldn't even see it.

Maby the Redlands one would be closer, but I have never been there, but should make time and go see them, anyway Linda Brennan is the person you need to speak to BCC community agriculture officer, Scarlett could probably help with a contact point as I don't have the number yet.......
she's on the site guys - drop her a line :)
Community gardens in Brisbane on Council owned or managed land
Attachments:
Ah ~, just received a link to that list in this issue of Brisbane City Council's 'your city your say' newletter too. ~~

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Place your business add here! ($5 per month or $25 for 9 months)

Talk to Andy on 0422 022 961.  You can  Pay on this link

© 2019   Created by Andrew Cumberland.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service