Here is an opportunity to join Dave and learn the Fundamentals of Fermenting. That (I am led to believe) is not as scary as it sounds and am told you will experience flavours you may not have had before. The Health Benefits alone are a Plus.
You will need to bring:
. Produce: bring your own to ferment.
- I (Dave) need to know what you want to ferment individually if you want to ferment some other home grown or bought produce so I can tell you what you should bring. For instance if you want to ferment root Turmeric, Chilli peppers, parsley, or whatever.
- Since fermenting is easy it's OK to bring ingredients for more than one fermenting project. Prep is quick although it can be laborious. But then the microbes do 99% of the work.
- If you don't want to go down the boutique route then the ferments we'll definitely be making are beetroot and turnip, carrot and daikon (Do Chua), and sauerkraut. (See ingredients list below.)
- We won't attempt any tomato based ferments because of the sugar content. Nor will we attempt kimchi.
- We'll begin the session with taste sampling of whatever I've got to hand. En route I can also show yogurt making DIY and promote the joys of sourdough.
- So any RSVP needs to specify your preferences so that I can vet them and get back to you specifying what you may need to bring.
Aside from produce folk will need to bring:
- Vegetable peeler
- Chopping board
- Bowl or broad tray(such as a clean baking dish) to hold your chopped or sliced vegetables.
- Lidded containers or jars (glass, food grade plastic, ceramic -- not metal) large enough to hold all your ferment. This isn't for storage but for fermenting.
- Knife &/or chopper.
- Mandolin or grater or blender -- are options depending on your intentions. But a knife or chopper is essential.
- If you are salt picky, bring your own, so long as it is not iodised. Sea salt is kosher and will be supplied.
- If anyone would have any Grape Leaves, Dave would appreciate it if you could bring some along.
- Equal quantities of beets and turnips such as a bunch of each...or variation.
- No 'beetroot only' because of the sugar content.
CARROT & DAIKON (Do Chua)
- Equal quantities of carrot and daikon (icicle radish), or
- 2 parts carrot to one part daikon, or
- Carrot only.
- Cloves (to taste) of garlic.
- 2 drumhead cabbages. That's the basic kraut.
- For the option of Lemon Dill Kraut bring garlic cloves, a lemon, fresh or dried dill.
You can multiply these proportions to increase your volume.
Please message me (Dave) with any specific questions: HERE.
We will begin the Workshop at 10.00am so please arrive a little earlier to settle in with a cuppa and a snack ready for a fun morning, followed by lunch.
Please bring along a Plate that can be shared for Morning Tea and Lunch.
As other details come to hand you will be notified and they will be listed.
Late attendees welcome, but Please Phone or Message Dianne on 0407691485 for address details.