Saturday the 24th of Feburary
9am-12pm: Botany for Absolute Beginners with Leah Hattendorff
Botany is the science of all things plants! The plant kingdom is a vast and beautiful group of organisms, responsible for so many essential functions here on planet Earth. Although they don’t speak up much, amazing plants are everywhere, feeding us, providing our air, cleaning our water – just waiting to be discovered and appreciated.
There are over 23,000 plant species in Australia, so knowing where to begin is half the journey. This class will be focused on introducing participants to the art of identifying common flora that we interact with everyday, through noticing patterns and appreciating form. This class will cover some basic scientific concepts, but is aimed at those with no prior botanical knowledge.
What we will cover
– What exactly is the plant kingdom and how did it all come about?
– The basic bones of photosynthesis – how plants turn sunshine into oxygen
– Understand how plant types are grouped and named
– Get to know your plants – learn the parts and pieces that make up a plant and a flower
– Learn where to begin when identifying a plant species, take-away techniques for recognising common plant families through pattern understanding
– Learn to use practical tools like dichotomous keys to identify plant species
– Recognise some common plant groups in Brisbane, learn their scientific names to wow your friends or impress your date!
Leah Hattendorff is an Ecologist, Permaculture designer, writer and creative. Leah is skilled in flora survey and identification of many Brisbane plants and is passionate about growing and knowing edible plants too. With a focus on fun and wonder, Leah has a passion for connecting Green-hearted souls to our Planet, our Plates and Ourselves.
Cost: $60/$45 Healthcare Card Holder + Booking Fee
To book CLICK HERE